The UK is slowly recovering following a number of devastating storms in recent weeks. In the North West, most of the damage has been caused by high winds with many properties requiring expensive repairs by home owners. Now that the storms have passed, it’s time to start thinking about repairs and restorations, especially if you have a rental property to take care of as well as your own. It’s important to ensure your tenants are as safe as possible, as well as reducing the cost of damage to your property. Here are some of our tips for landlords to consider post-storms…
- -Visit the house in person. Whilst your tenants would have most likely contacted you or your emergency contact if there were any problems, it’s always best to check. Make sure your tenants are safe and ask them if you can give the property a once-over to make sure there isn’t any hidden damage.
- -Be careful around any electrical or telephone cables which may have been blown down or damaged during the storms. Even if this is affecting your property, it is not your responsibility to try and fix! Contact the appropriate bodies and make sure that your tenants stay well clear to avoid accidents.
- -Check for gas leaks. These can be more difficult to spot but incredibly dangerous. If you suspect that the storm has caused a gas leak, evacuate the property and contact the emergency services.
- -Be safe when undertaking a clean up. This means a hard hat, gloves and sturdy shoes. If you’re lifting anything heavy, ask someone to help to avoid injury.
- -Check the roof. Roofing is the most common area affected by storms, so check for any fallen shingles, exposed fibreglass, missing roof panels and signs of a leak. If there are any signs of these, cover possessions with a plastic sheet to avoid damage to furniture.
- -It may seem obvious, but if any windows have been smashed, clear up the glass! Then contact someone to replace the pane as soon as possible to avoid further damage to the property.
If you invest in a Mistoria property, we take care of the tough landlord jobs for you, so you don’t have to worry. Our dedicated renovation, furnishing and maintenance team will take care of damage caused by extreme weather, or any other emergency maintenance that may be required, with a 24 hour service. We will also help you find tenants, survey and furnish the property and even sort out your utilities. Check out our current investments to find more about our available properties.
If you’re already a landlord and are looking for a maintenance team to take these difficult jobs off your hands, give our RFM branch a call. We can ensure a round-the-clock emergency maintenance service for your property, meaning there is one less thing for you to worry about. You can also check out the other services Mistoria provide here – we’re one of the biggest names in property investment in Manchester, so don’t hesitate to get in touch. Send us a message through our contact page or give us a ring on 0800 500 3015 with any questions – we’ll be happy to help.