If you have chosen to invest in a property outside your own village, town or city, maintaining it over the winter months can be difficult, especially if it is unoccupied. As the weather gets colder, we all take precautions with our home, but if a property is empty, it is vital to ensure it is protected against storms, floods or snow which may leave it vulnerable to damage. Of course, the best advice would be to visit as often as possible, but we know that this can be difficult, particularly in bad weather. Luckily, there are some things you can do to prepare…
- – Check that the loft is properly insulated and that the insulation covers the pipes in order to prevent them from freezing.
- – Put your heating on a timer for at least an hour a day, or at a constant temperature, particularly in severe weather conditions.
- – Ensure that there is someone in the local area, preferably on the same street, that has a key in the event of a burst pipe or collapsed roof. Let them know the whereabouts of your stop tap and heating system and ask them to keep an eye out for signs of damage.
- – Get draught proofing fitted around all windows and doors so no heat is lost.
- – Keep doors open so that heat can spread around the house.
- – Bleed your radiators to make sure they are at their most effective.
- – To prevent frost damage, keep the cupboard door under the sink open, allowing warm air to move around the pipes.
- – Consider investing in gutter leaf guards to stop your gutters getting clogged up with leaves or debris.
Remember, the cost of protecting your property through insulation, draught proofing and a serviced and reliable boiler can save you money in repairs later – better to be safe than sorry! For any home maintenance, damage prevention or repairs, Mistoria Renovations is here to help. Give us a call on 0800 500 3015 to discuss our 24 hour emergency repair cover. For more property investment advice and to see our range of available deals, visit the Mistoria Group website.